I personally find the concept of identity interesting – this is because I find it interesting how people choose to label themselves, and how this may effect their personal identity. Now, before I say what labels I like to use and why, I want to define identity (as a whole) and personal identity. Identity can be defined as, “the qualities, beliefs, personality, looks and/or expressions that make a person” – and personal identity can be defined as, “the concept you develop about yourself that evolves over the course of your life.” Now, this may be one of my more interesting posts, but I’ll let you decide – and to add more charm, I’ll add photographs with captions so you can see what
I’ve been up to!
But I do understand that identity, labels and ones personal identity is SUPER fluid and can change over time, so I may feel the need to possibly revisit this topic at a different time to see if anything has changed in terms of labels! But at the moment, let’s see how I currently identify -and as a sidenote, I understand that some people don’t like labels, but I personally like them because it gives me a sense of identity and community.
I like and use the following labels:
Bisexual: I like this label because I feel as though it best describes how I feel in terms of sexual orientation.
- Transmasculine: I like this because even though I’m non-binary, I lean more towards the masculine side of the gender spectrum.
- Non-binary: I like this label because I don’t subscribe to the gender binary.
- A hamifan: This describes someone who is a fan of the musical Hamilton, and honestly? I’m a fan of Hamilton: An American Musical because it is so beautifully done, plus the combination of “Hamil“- and “fan” has a nice ring to it!
- A thronie: This describes someone who is a fan of the T.V. show “Game of Thrones“, and I’m a fan of the show for many reasons – everything from the characters, the stories are just some of the reasons I’m proud to call myself a thronie. (Plus I like the name that fans are giving).
- An LGBTQ+ Activist: Due to starting this blog, I feel as though this is my way of actvicating for the LGBTQ+ community – and its my way of giving back to the community.
- Dog Person: I likely this label because simply put, I prefer dogs over cats – OK, and I want to stroke EVERY dog ever. But I don’t hate cats, I just like dogs more than cats.
- Occasional Book Reader: I say occasional book reader because honestly reading is still a relatively new hobby for me, and because its not something I regularly do.
- Causal Gamer: I’m not a hardcore gamer, but I do enjoy playing video games sometimes – some of my favourite games are: Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS), Pokemon White (DS), Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS).
- Pun enthusiast: I love making a good pun – its just fun seeing peoples reactions to me making a pun, so its definitely something I enjoy doing.
- Sherlockian: This a term that describes a fan of the TV show ‘Sherlock‘ – and though I consider myself a causal fan of the BBC show, this was the first fandom I joined, so it has a nostalgic place in my heart.
- Bee Enthusiast: Bees are some of my favourite animals, and I can’t explain why – I just like them.
- An older sibling: Fun fact – I have one younger sibling who I love very much, so that’s why I like the label.
There you go – these are all of the labels I currently choose to use for myself. This was a very interesting blog post to write, and I really enjoyed writing it! In addition, feel free to comment what labels you choose to use for yourself, if you feel comfortable doing so!